Costs & Fees
How Much Does a Business License Cost?
The amount of your privilege tax (the fee for the business license) depends on what type of business you are conducting:
Prorated Privilege Tax
- Home-based businesses are charged a flat $20 per year.
- Retail-based commercial businesses are charged according to the true value of their inventory. The amount is based on 15% of the true value of inventory, and the fee is taken directly from §27-17-365, Mississippi Code Annotated.
- Service based commercial businesses are charged according to the number of full-time employees (1-3 employees = $20, 4-10 employees = $30, 11+ employees = $3 per employee, $150 maximum).
- Warehouses are charged a flat $150 per year.
- Pool / Billiard Halls are charged a flat $50 per year.
- Auto Dealers are charged a flat $50 per year.
- New weapon dealers are charged a flat $100 per year.
- Pawn shops that sell weapons are charged a flat $500 per year, and pawn shops that do not sell weapons are charged a flat $250 per year.
The amount of your privilege tax is prorated through December 31, when all Southaven business licenses expire. If you obtain your license between February 1 and December 1, your license will be prorated accordingly.
For more information, contact City Clerk Sheila Heath
at (662) 280-6554.