The vision for the Southaven Fire & Emergency Medical Services Department is to become a “model” emergency services department for similar type and size departments located throughout the state, region, and nation.
Such a department would be known for its progressive and aggressive but safe fire suppression efforts. It would provide fire prevention and public fire education programs designed to prevent and deter fire and other emergencies from occurring based on target areas identified. It would support ongoing training and educational efforts of departmental personnel to maintain and enhance their knowledge and skills to perform their duties. The department would offer other non-traditional, non-emergency services that help enhance the quality of life of those we serve.
It is the primary mission of the Southaven Fire/EMS Department to provide a range of programs designed to protect the lives and property of the citizens, workers, and visitors of the City of Southaven from the adverse effects of fires, sudden medical emergencies, or exposure to dangerous conditions.
The Department employs competent, professional fire and emergency medical service personnel and is devoted to providing adequate training opportunities for them to maintain their skills and knowledge base levels and to allow for safe operations.
What We Value
It values customer service, both internally and externally. The department and its personnel values:
- Providing the best possible fire protection and advanced emergency medical services to our community;
- Providing proactive programs that maintain and improve fire safety education throughout our community;
- Providing for a fire-safe environment throughout the community by enforcing the requirements of the adopted City fire code and emphasizing compliance through education;
- Maintaining and improving our knowledge and skills by actively participating in training programs and seeking educational opportunities;
- Conducting ourselves in a manner that shows respect for the community, fellow employees, members of the department, and members of other agencies;
- Maintaining the vehicles, equipment, and facilities of the department and keeping them in a high state of readiness and cleanliness at all times;
- Conducting ourselves in a professional manner at all times rather on- or off-duty;
- Providing quality customer service to all who work, live, or visit the city.
Fire Prevention is charged with mitigating emergencies through the use of engineering, education, and enforcement:
• Public Fire and Life Safety Education
The mission of the Southaven Fire Department’s Public Fire and Life Safety Education Division is to minimize the loss of life and property resulting from fires, medical emergencies, environmental, and other disasters. One of the ways we accomplish this is through education in schools, homes, and businesses. The promotion of fire and life safety initiatives throughout our community is a vital part in the prevention of injuries and deaths related to fires and other emergencies. We will actively participate in our community, serve as role models, and strive to effectively and efficiently utilize all of the necessary resources at our command to provide a product deemed excellent by our citizens. The Southaven Fire Department believes that pride, the pursuit of excellence, and commitment to public service is of paramount importance.
• Fire Investigations and Inspections
The mission of the Southaven Fire Department’s Investigation and Inspection Division is to provide the citizens of Southaven with protection against loss of life and property by fire through Inspections and fire code enforcement in existing structures, including annual inspections of schools, institutions, assemblies and businesses. Fire and life safety is enhanced through the development and enforcement of adopted fire codes. The Division inspects new and existing buildings for fire code compliance and conducts plan reviews to ensure compliance prior to new construction. In addition, investigations are performed to determine the causes of fires and related incidents, and works with law enforcement officials to reduce the incidence of arson in the community.
Training Division provides ongoing training, education, and certification to fire service personnel who are necessary to ensure a competent, efficient, and effective emergency response organization. This Division also desires to provide the necessary research, evaluation, and recommendations for new products, guidelines, and procedures necessary to maintain the safest work environment possible for our responders. We strive to provide the best possible response to the citizens and visitors of the City of Southaven.
Operations provides life safety, fire protection and customer service to the community through the delivery of Fire Suppression and Protection, Specialized Technical Rescue Operations, Hazardous Materials Incident Control Measures, Advanced Emergency Medical Services Response, Training, and other services.
For more information, contact Fire Chief Danny Scallions
at (662) 393-7466.